Forums > MobyGames > New Year's resolutions 2019

chirinea (47495) on 1/1/2019 12:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Happy new year! It's time to ask once again: what are your personal goals for 2019, MobyGames or gaming in general related?

These are our resolutions from last year. I was able to beat my 44 k goal, but as for actually playing games, things were not so good. Last year was a busy one for me at work, so maybe this year I will have a bit more time. I'll try to reach 46 k, but it would be great to hit 50 k before the end of 2020.

What about you?

Patrick Bregger (301696) on 1/1/2019 3:34 PM · Permalink · Report

My last year was clearly dominated by credits, so this year I want to focus on adding new games to the database.

Foxhack (32100) on 1/1/2019 8:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Add the DVD-based games I own. I have around 100 I could pull info from.

vedder (70898) on 1/1/2019 9:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Just a couple dozen more dedicated pongs to add... And over 100 games from 1977.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 1/1/2019 9:43 PM · Permalink · Report

heh, I need to finish the final run of Choicescript Hosted Games from late 2018 8)

Cavalary (11445) on 1/2/2019 11:49 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

So last year I was saying same as the previous year, on MG at least 1000 points, preferably counting under 250 from electronic covers, and a stretch goal of at least 1000 from critic scores. Got the first one, but with most, 669, from electronic covers, and not a chance for the critic scores, gave up, just 40 from those.
With giving up on those covers now too, blah. Maybe 500 points total this year? Would be a real stretch, very unlikely. And since I don't even have a user menu anymore, not even bothering.

Gaming, was the usual, finish 5 games, but was including specifically Disciples, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic and Eschalon. It was 4 PC games, plus 2 quick mobile ones... Maybe counts. And did finish Disciples and, on Dec 24, AoW:SM. Didn't even bother trying to continue Eschalon though.
This year? Same, finish 5 games. Specifics, since I started Jotun, there is that maybe. Eschalon remains on that list, and NWN: Kingmaker now needs to be on it. Lords of Xulima would be quite something to finish, but that's a stretch goal. And trying King of Dragon Pass again and managing to win has been a stretch goal for years, but didn't even dare trying again since 2015, so not even worth mentioning really.

MAT (240977) on 1/3/2019 12:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Last summer when some of us, me included, were given admin abilities, I tackled tech specs to extreme. Now, while I've created list of all tech specs for everyone to see here, there are still great many things to do and sort it out.

One of the things we had were lots of duplicates for no reason. We still have several separate Mouse or Keyboard specs that I plan to merge, and many stuff that we have scattered under input devices, will end up grouped like I've done so for some of the things already, like Laser Guns, Steering Wheels, Cameras, Gamepads, etc.. But that is only one already huge thing to do on even greater mountain scattered specs. Another thing to tackle are number of players supported... while all those groups were somewhat fixed, there's still a lot of things to do. One very big and time consuming task will be mapping "Number of Players Supported" to more specific groups, like offline, local network, and online. I reckon this'll take me years to finish, but any one step is one step closer to making the specs better for both user-input and overview. Adding icons takes time as well... and plan is for all of them to have all three images (30x30 for search engines, 20x15 icons seen in tech specs, and 200x150 on actual spec info page).

The goal of gathering points is no longer something I strive, and I cannot keep up with diligent scrapers we have today, but I reckon I'll reach 200,000 points sometime this year.

At the moment we have 14,450 screenshots for PS4 platform. I am surprised we have so many, seeing how they're in great majority submitted by me. We topped even PS3 screenshots (cca. 8,200) and PS2 (cca. 14,200) where many many users added screenshots. I guess one of the reasons I could do that was that Sony added screenshot capture feature (easy, capture on click, not silly XB1 one where you have to confirm which advances the time of captured scene) on PS4. Needless to say, I have many more PS4 games to play and that number will easily reach 20,000 before PS5's time comes. I've still very far away from number of screenshots Oleg uploaded (still sad he no longer adds games and screenshots), but seem to hold 2nd place. People who don't care about capturing shots while playing are lucky to focus on game itself... I forgot how playing without capturing screenshots even feels, lol.

One more goal that I've been avoiding for the past year or two is to add PSX and PS2 games I own that are not yet in the database (around 50 or so). Can't scrape those since they're all Japanese exclusive releases, so have to play them to write a description.

So, to make a summary of this year's resolutions:

• Keep on working on tech specs (can't be done in one year alone, lol)
  • See if I can reach at least 18,000-20,000 shots for PS4 platform by the end of the year
  • Add PSX and PS2 games I own that we don't have (about 50 Japanese-exclusive releases)
  • Reach 200,000 points (maybe too easy goal, so not really a goal, I'm beyond the point of wanting more points anymore :p)

jaXen (261015) on 1/4/2019 3:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Improve the quality of the information here at mobygames.

I am afraid that will be a task like the creation of world peace and the quality is decreasing but HEY, let's try.

Flapco (46055) on 1/6/2019 8:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Finishing more games than I will buy this year and at least add a few more missing (obscure) PS2 games.

piltdown_man (238892) on 1/20/2019 11:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Spent a lot of 2018 making home made wine. Now have 260+ bottles waiting to be drunk, 25+ gallons clearing/settling/maturing, and 8+ gallons fermenting. Running out of storage space so cutting back on 2019's production

Should have time to play Fallout Las Vegas and Fallout 4 and contribute the hand-held games I've accumulated which will free up more storage space for next year's wine