🐳 13,792 items were approved and added to the database in the past week!

Forums > Off Topic > World Cup 2018

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/15/2018 2:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Anyone?

Egypt vs Uruguay. Great game, really started rooting for Egypt there.

Cavalary (11598) on 6/16/2018 12:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Spain - Portugal surprisingly lived up to expectations.

About Egypt - Uruguay, well, wouldn't say "rooted for", but it was quite sad when they lost there at the end.

Morocco had it even worse though. Own goal deep into injury time? Ouch!

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/16/2018 2:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Damn! Iceland just couldn't keep the ball. Their goalkeeper was amazing though, I was really getting worried for him - 95 minutes of constant pounding. Fortunately Messi kept screwing up.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/17/2018 1:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Costa Rica vs Serbia got quite aggressive in the end. :D

Edwin Drost (9755) on 6/21/2018 8:25 PM · Permalink · Report

A lot has happen today in so little time. Australia almost beat Denmark, but still as to do with 1-1. But the most shocking (well, not THAT shocking) is the fact that Argentina got smashed to smithereens by Croatia! (But then again, they even played more badly than what they did at their previous match)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/21/2018 11:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Now I feel bad for Argentina.... A third one in the last minutes, that's crushing defeat.

Cavalary (11598) on 6/22/2018 12:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Nah, Argentina deserved it, they didn't show much. I feel bad for Morocco though, shouldn't have lost to Portugal. And there probably should have been at least 3 penalties in that match, 2 for them and 1 for Portugal. If not even 3 for Morocco. Made a mental note of bad refereeing on that one, including no use of VAR to make up for it, so seemed intentional, since if in doubt you'd either check yourself or those watching would notify of a review at least.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/22/2018 6:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Allah just doesn't seem to be with the islam teams... Pity, I personally grew fond of seeing Salah's face.

But now Iceland got the same treatment as Argentina - a crushing defeat with 0:3 by Nigeria. That's gotta burn.

If Argentina defeats Nigeria, then it has a chance to pass I guess. But I kind of want that Black Panther magic.

Edwin Drost (9755) on 6/22/2018 8:17 PM · Permalink · Report

But I think it is also a kind of a karma thing. Iceland really thought that they were going to beat Nigeria with two fingers in their nose. (as you can read it here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/21/iceland-bullish-mood-shed-underdog-status-nigeria) Never underestimate you opponents.

Tomorrow there will be some interesting matches: Belgium VS Tunisia, South Korea VS Mexico and Germany against Sweden.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/25/2018 7:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow, Iran and Morocco were fabulous today. If only they would have had one more goal...

Cavalary (11598) on 6/27/2018 12:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Morocco especially, they deserved more. And beaten due to an own goal in the 5th min of injury time with Iran, having penalties, multiple, not awarded against Portugal, and now being denied by Spain at the end too.

But today on the other hand brought the first really crappy match, and the first goalless one, that France - Denmark where they both knew a draw will keep them safe so they just sort of wandered around the pitch for the entire duration. It was a disgrace...

Also, pity for Nigeria and Iceland. Frankly wanted those 2 to go from that group instead of the 2 that did. And Nigeria denied so late by an Argentina that didn't show crap till today, and not that much today either.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/27/2018 8:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Argentina has to thank Croatia for passing into the knockout stage. Frankly I was wondering why Croatia was playing so hard, almost like they were the ones who's future was uncertain.

I was rooting for Nigeria.

Cavalary (11598) on 6/27/2018 9:52 AM · Permalink · Report

They'd have gone through even with a draw in that other match. And Croatia did rather use their reserve squad, and reserves tend to play well when used like that, they don't know if they'll get another chance.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/27/2018 4:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow. What a game! South Korea heroically saved Mexico from disaster!

It was great to see how fans of both countries - Sweden and Mexico - rejoiced. And South Korea can go home happy - a good deed is it's own reward.

You mexicans better start sending them thank you gifts. And please, please don't fuck up in the next round.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/30/2018 9:44 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Great, it's Mexico vs Brazil.

I really want to see Mexico just once get past the 1/16 finals. Judging from last game, and considering the opponent - Mexico needs miracles.

I was really disappointed in Japan. I was rooting for them and Senegal - but just meh, Japan didn't want to play anymore. They'll probably lose to Belgium.

I really wanted to see at least one african team make it. Sad.

Today we'll have Argentina vs France and Uruguay vs Portugal. This a tough one, kinda like them all. If Portugal and Argentina would win, we'd get Messi vs Ronaldo game.

Edit: Ha! They both got eliminated. France played beautifully, Uruguay dirty - Suarez is such an actor.

Edwin Drost (9755) on 6/30/2018 8:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wow. Just...wow. I had 4-3 as the end result of France VS Argentina in the football pool, but I crossed that out and changed it. That's because I thought "Nah, such crazy thing probably not going to happen if I am going to do something this".

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/2/2018 9:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Russians have a special connection with their native land. Can't beat russians on it, cause Mother Russia gives them unlimited willpower. Napoleon tried and failed, Hitler failed and now Spain too has failed.

:)

That last block with the leg was a thing of beauty.

Johan Adam on 7/3/2018 6:37 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Spam detected!! MG Forum-Bot activated! Spam removed. Area sterilized.]

vedder (71325) on 7/3/2018 7:48 AM · Permalink · Report

No matter which arm gets cut off. It's never the correct one...

chirinea (47494) on 7/3/2018 8:58 PM · Permalink · Report

That was an ugly game, but I'm really disappointed that Colombia lost.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/3/2018 10:22 PM · Permalink · Report

I guess it could be England vs France in the finals.

Japan vs Belgium was a rollercoast game. Japan both won and broke my heart in the course of few minutes.

Cavalary (11598) on 7/3/2018 10:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Or Brazil - England.

Out of those left, final should be France - Brazil, but the route won't allow it.

chirinea (47494) on 7/6/2018 11:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Damn... I blame it on Sciere. =P

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/11/2018 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

France vs Belgium lett a bad taste in my mouth. Just when I was starting to think that finally we'll start seeing gentleman's football, now that THOSE teams are gone, France introduces it's own take on dirty tricks - that was some ugly behaviour.

Now Croatia vs Russia was a beautiful game - tense, high stakes, lots of action, you see players pulling their legs, you see exhaustion, and still they fight til the end. And most of all - no dirty tricks! I was rooting for both sides, that's how beautiful it was.

I hope Croatia beats England, so it could kick France's ass!

Victor Vance (18207) on 7/11/2018 9:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start The Fabulous King wrote--]I hope Croatia beats England, so it could kick France's ass! [/Q --end The Fabulous King wrote--]

It did! It was a interesting game where the decision was made late in the extended time.

Plok (239288) on 7/11/2018 9:24 PM · Permalink · Report

IT'S NOT COMING HOME !!!!!

Now it's questionable if we'll beat France, since we had three matches in a row that we played in extra time, the first two of which we won in penalty shootouts. It's a relatively long way to Sunday, but these players are quite exhausted.

Even if it's just a silver medal, this generation is already more successful than the legendary 1998 team (3rd place, WC 1998 in France).

Cavalary (11598) on 7/12/2018 12:07 AM · Permalink · Report

That sure was unexpected. But nice, I'd say. Let's see what Sunday will bring now, but on the other hand it may be a case of an interesting match Saturday too. Usually 3rd place playoffs are pretty sad affairs, but now they likely both have things to prove and the means to do it.

Plok (239288) on 7/12/2018 8:11 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]Usually 3rd place playoffs are pretty sad affairs [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--] For us, a 3rd place match was one of our most proud moments in our otherwise vast sports history.

jean-louis (83276) on 7/15/2018 6:06 AM · Permalink · Report

May the force be with us !

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/19/2018 8:04 AM · Permalink · Report

I was rooting for Croatia... so yeah, it is what it is.

Unfortunate own goal, unfair penalty and two honest goals. Croatia definitely was overexhausted from previous matches.

If the past 3 world cups winners are showing any pattern, then maybe next time it's England? :D

Otherwise, I really thought it was a good world cup. Sad it's over.