Forums > MobyGames > About Android-based microconsoles

CrankyStorming (2927) on 6/18/2013 9:34 PM · Permalink · Report

With various Android-powered microconsoles like the Ouya and Gamestick approaching the market, we should consider how we are going to categorise these.

As far as I can tell, any such device which is just uses stock Android shouldn't be counted as their own platforms. But the aforementioned examples both have their own software and ecosystems. Are these cases of individual platforms (like the Dreamcast and Xbox both being based on versions of Windows) or just additions to the base system (like Steam)?

leilei (343) on 6/18/2013 9:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start CrankyStorming wrote--]Are these cases of individual platforms (like the Dreamcast and Xbox both being based on versions of Windows) [/Q --end CrankyStorming wrote--]

Not entirely true, only a handful of Dreamcast games used WinCE and that was part of the disc, and it'd be wrong to call them Windows games, so with that in mind it'd probably be best to have an Ouya platform.

chirinea (47472) on 6/18/2013 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Zeebo is based on BREW but we treat it as a separate platform. One simple reason for this is exclusive titles: it wouldn't be right to say that a Zeebo exclusive is a BREW game because you just couldn't play it on any BREW phone. So I guess the same goes for those consoles: if you can't play their games on your Android cellphone, they are not Android games.

blakegriplingph (542) on 6/24/2013 4:35 AM · Permalink · Report

That's exactly what I'm thinking. If Nvidia's Shield would have games unique to the platform it would be a distinct banana rather than just another Android device as well.

Kabushi (263574) on 6/19/2013 8:46 AM · Permalink · Report

Ouya has its own store, and doesn't officially support other Android apps, so it's definitely a new platform.