Forums > MobyGames > Screenshots for Quake (and its expansions)

erc (435) on 9/16/2012 10:59 AM · Permalink · Report

I am a little confused here.

Over the last month, I have been submitting screenshots for unofficial Quake expansions that have been captured under a derivative of GLQuake, namely QuakeSpasm. This engine is a continuation of FitzQuake, which is in turn based on the source code of GLQuake that was made available by id Software themselves in 2000's. QuakeSpasm does not add any graphical enhancements that transformsthe game to something it was not in the first place (see DarkPlaces), but merely eliminates the bugs in the original and removes the hard-coded limits to make way for larger, more detailed custom maps. Thus, it is a faithful port.

The original Quake executable is for DOS, while the GLQuake executable (which was released in a year's time and updated accordingly by id Software themselves) is Windows-only and requires Glide or OpenGL drivers at the user's end (there is also software support for Windows in the form of WinQuake). This was first done as an update, but later official compilations of Quake and its expansions come with the latest versions of both Quake and WinQuake/GLQuake on disc. So, the game natively supports the Windows platform.

Another thing to note is that both the official (Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity) and unofficial expansions (such as Dark Hour and Q-Zone), as well as various 'total conversions' (Shrak, Malice and X-Men: RoA) does not come with any executables whatsoever. They are merely .pak files (which includes all the maps, sounds, models and custom code) that are dependant on original Quake and GLQuake executables, and require Quake to be installed first. So, a player who has Quake installed in its latest official form can run this expansions both under DOS and Windows platforms. In the light of this fact, it occures to me that all these expansions should be listed as DOS / Windows. However, this is not the case as some are listed as DOS-only.

Now the thing is, I'm running the game through an executable for its ease of use and extended limits that is pixel-to-pixel faithful to the original GLQuake look, take screenshots in a resolution that is also supported by GLQuake and half of my submissions are accepted, while the other half are returned to me stating that this game does not support the platform, or that GLQuake is not an official part of the game and such. By the way, most of the other submitted screenshots for Quake derivatives on the site are taken under GLQuake. Don't forget the FuhQuake ones with radically different HUD graphics.

So?

vedder (71300) on 9/16/2012 2:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Personally I'd see no harm in approving screenshots taken to through GLQuake, but it might be worthwhile to have it mentioned in the screenshot descriptions.

I don't know what the official stance on this is though, if there is one.

Sciere (932689) on 9/16/2012 8:42 PM · Permalink · Report

I sent those shots back, but I didn't know some games were released just as .pak files. That changes everything, because GLQuake is approved by id Software as official, and that way they are fine. If the original game came with an executable, and you'd apply a custom executable on top of that, that would make it a modification. In the case you described however, it is one of the proper ways to play, just like in the past when the visual presentation could be dependent on the user's graphical power (3D or no 3D acceleration, CGA, EGA, VGA cards).

leilei (343) on 9/16/2012 8:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'd advise NOT playing with GLQuake as that has some vital features stripped like fullbright colors (glowing lights), overbright lights, and proper non-power-of-2 textures.

I'd favor DOS Quake where possible, then Winquake second, but never an official accelerated port as they make too many visual compromises.

The reason why you see shots of ugly GL sourceports is that Moby was more lax at one point. I'd say all those fuhquake shots need to be removed. Just because they're there doesn't justify taking more screenshots in unofficial ports, much like old "enhanced" emulator screenshots are there but should no longer be contributed.