Forums > MobyGames > MobyGames' unfair contribution points policy

Michael B (303) on 11/27/2010 7:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Let me first start off with saying that MobyGames is a great site, and it is the best gaming related site on the internet compared with for example the messy Gamespot site. One big reason for why I joined was the ability to gain contribution points when submitting information. And as the site itself points out; it does give you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

But there is a problem with this system, and it is this: Most things you submit only gain you 1 or 2 contribution points. This means that you must keep a constant stream of contributions coming in order to obtain a decent amount of points. I know it's a bit silly to complain when the true intention of the site is not to have the most points. But getting a decent amount of points for your contributions makes it all worth while.

I don't think it would hurt the administrators if they raised the amount of points one gets when submitting information. I mean come on; half a point for a MobyRank and 2 points for a game submission. The worst may be the one point you get for every release info submitted, when everybody knows that it takes some effort to find that info. Especially for old games. I can only hope that my wishes are heard, but I suppose that they will just pass by like wishes from Moby users tend to do.

Indra was here (20747) on 11/27/2010 8:02 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Problem isn't really the points. It's the amount of life you want to waste to contribute stuff. Look at the blokes with over 50,000 points. They went through the same process as anyone else here.

Except that they're inhuman. :p

Increasing the points won't help. Submitting more selective items in abundance (e.g. screenshots) will.

[edit] Though maybe the two points per new game entry should be reviewed.

formercontrib (157454) on 11/27/2010 8:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Yepp, increasing A and B and C and D ... the only effect is having an incredible amount of contribution points.

Reminds me of The Bard's Tale 20+ years ago. "You hit the hungry Skeleton (10 HP for example), hitting it for 9.999 HP -> blastin' it out of this World.

If you will have afterwards not 300 points, but 3.000 instead ... Sciere will have 1.4 Bio. instead of 140.000 ... where's the pleasure afterwards ? Some guys are here for several years, spending an almost unbelievable amount of time and nerves, working like "buffallos" - as Indra said: Do the same and you will see the results quickly.

We have several guys here, often only members for a few months, 1 or 1 1/2 years, about to reach the Top 50 board soon. Next weird and crazy Moby supporters :) - It's still not too hard, especially not when it's really important for you or any other member.

Trust me, the it's much more fun to climb continously up the ladder - instead of remaining somewhere in no-man's-land for a long time. Jump from 300 to 400 pts. - overtake many, many other members. It's getting harder and brings less positions if you increase 3.000 to 4.000 points, andsoon, and it isn't really always funny or motivating trying to close gaps of 10.000, 20.000 or more points. And even if you'll make it - noone adorse you, or offers you a washing machine for free ;)

About RELEASE INFOS: Each release date/patch gains 1 point, plus one point for every company assicated with a release date, add some especially for newer games, can bring 20 and more points each!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66801) on 11/27/2010 11:02 PM · Permalink · Report

If you like, we could multiply all point totals by 10, so everything would appear to be ten times as exciting. If you think the problem is more that specific contribution categories score disproportionally (some think we should get points for forum activity!) then we'll need a bit more thorough of a proposal before we can tear it to shreds.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 11/28/2010 12:39 AM · Permalink · Report

Welcome to Whose Line Is It Mobygames?: where everything on the forum is made up, and the points don't matter.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66801) on 11/28/2010 2:33 AM · Permalink · Report

It's precisely because they don't matter that this is such a low priority to me. I'd be content just to track who contributes how many instances of what, and we already do that. How many overall points each what is worth in the long run is immaterial. I don't think that areas that are a pain the derriere to contribute (and hence, are undervalued) would see much more activity if we just raised the bounty on them... and that the sort of maniac to transcribe credits would also probably do so without receiving "points" for it, redeemable toward... nothing.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (104801) on 11/28/2010 2:54 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]and that the sort of maniac to transcribe credits would also probably do so without receiving "points" for it, redeemable toward... nothing. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Hey, I'm not a maniac! I transcribe and translate them! That's totally different and respectable!

Indra was here (20747) on 11/28/2010 6:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Hah! I'm more of a maniac than anyone of you combined.

I don't get squat for fixing game groups. :p

Игги Друге (46653) on 12/21/2010 8:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] Hey, I'm not a maniac! I transcribe and translate them! That's totally different and respectable! [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]

I reverse engineer the raw character codings so that I can transcribe and transliterate them. Only to find five names.

Unicorn Lynx (181681) on 11/28/2010 3:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Naturally, simply increasing the amount of points for everything won't do the trick.

However, I do agree (and already suggested) that new game entries and reviews should be rewarded more points.

20 points per new game entry and 10 to 50 points per review doesn't sound like exaggeration to me.

I also think cover art points should be raised from 3 to 5, and MobyRank from half a point to 2.

Indra was here (20747) on 11/28/2010 7:01 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]20 points per new game entry and 10 to 50 points per review doesn't sound like exaggeration to me. [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--] Yep, you're definitely a Jew. :p

I was still around the number of 3-5 per game entry.

Starbuck the Third (22601) on 12/2/2010 7:38 PM · Permalink · Report

I think a few contribution types could use higher points rewards. Heres a list of them and what i think would be an appropriate amount

• New games - 5
  • Description - between 1 and 5, quality pending
  • Product codes - 1/2 point
  • MobyRank - 1 point
  • Company Logo - 2 points

Think these do a better job of reflecting their value.

DarkBubble (342) on 12/3/2010 10:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I never got the fractional points, but other than that, I'm not fussed. It's been a long time since I've contributed (first time in a while that I've logged in, forgot I'd even amassed 369 points), but I get more of a thrill from contributing something that wasn't on the site or whatnot than I do watching my score get jacked up. That's just me though.

Luis Silva (13443) on 12/14/2010 3:00 AM · Permalink · Report

The easiest way to get points is to find stuff nobody else provides. Most of my points were obtained by covering sports games, which were either missing entirely from the database, or had the bare minimum to be approved. By opposition, an american, console-playing RPG and action fan has it much harder to contribute (covers are most likely on site, games are a lot more mainstream-ish and are probably on file with well developed with complete information and decent descriptions).

Won't argue that some stuff is unbalanced - it's somewhat frustrating to spend an afternoon trying to enter a decent entry for a console game, get 15 or 20 points, and then get 40 points just hitting scroll lock to get some computer screenshots for an hour or less.