🐳 11,412 items were approved and added to the database in the past week!

Forums > News > Moby v2023.08.18 Release

MobyReed (388) on 8/18/2023 7:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

• Added GOG store support to add game form and Missing Games
  • Added Xbox store support to add game form
  • Added genres to platform game lists (example)
  • Added # of games per classification to genre index
  • Added collapse/expand functionality to long "See Also" lists (e.g., Tetris)
  • Updated game browser to allow selecting 0 minimum critic/player ratings
  • UI revisions for critic reviews table
  • Additional spammer/bot mitigation
  • Fixed platform selector in credits tool
  • Fixed bugs related to unscored critic reviews
  • Fixed notification cache
  • Misc. other bug fixes and UI polish

joicrawu (80) on 8/18/2023 8:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey, brilliant stuff with the genre additions.

The bug which showed 0% scores for Unscored reviews has been fixed in the Critics pages.

However (and this is still only a display and functionality issue, it doesn't affect calculations), critic reviews of 0% still show up as Unscored in game overview and review tabs:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/23157/big-rigs-over-the-road-racing/

Games with a 0% average score still don't show anything in the Browser:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/mincritic:1/sort:-critic_score/page:1/

And if the game has an average score of 0%, you can't click on the number of ratings, such as in this example:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/174328/baseball/reviews/

Also in the Overview of that same game, at the top next to the release it should display "Critics 0% (2)", as should all other games which have a 0% average score, which should display that to keep consistency on the site. Again, I know these are obviously terrible games which only have 1 or 2 reviews (at most), but still...

joicrawu (80) on 8/18/2023 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Wait sorry I've just realized a very important thing. Even though you HAVE fixed the issue where Unscored Critic reviews were showing up as 0% in the Critic pages, there is a big problem.

Reviews which are 0% are ALSO showing up as Unscored. Here is a very very (probably the most) telling example:

https://www.mobygames.com/critic/793/video-game-critic-the/sort:rating/page:154/

As you can see, everything that the Video Game Critic gave an F or F- (both converted to 0%) shows up as Unscored. To check, just click on the link and see that the last 20 pages are of Unscored games, when really they should be of 0% (except for supposedly 9 true Unscored reviews). So there are about 500 games by that critic that show up as Unscored, when they should show up as 0% (I imagine that they gave a fair number of games an F or F-). So now we can't distinguish between "True" Unscored reviews and those which equated to a 0%.

Again I'll reiterate that this has no bearing on calculations of any sort, as far as I can tell, just a display issue. Hope you guys can get it fixed and thanks for your amazing work!

Alex Vardr on 8/18/2023 11:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Your "spam/bot mitigation" makes it completely impossible to actually browse this database, defeating the purpose of it existing. 21 Pages limit, 6 without login, are you kidding me? People like me going through need to see hundreds, even thousands of consecutive pages without some arbitrary limit. This is going to severely impact your user numbers. Either raise the number of entries per page to a lot more than 50 or reverse this crap.

MobyReed (388) on 8/18/2023 11:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

What's your use case for thousands of pages? The API might be a better choice. Or you can contribute to the database to browse without limit. Win win! And we're tweaking the numbers over time, both in terms of # of results and threshold for contributions.

kristof dardenne (38) on 8/25/2023 8:55 PM · Permalink · Report

if we could select negative search options (no DLC/no games only released on mobile), for me I would need less pages. Also a search with wildcards , games starting with X_ not all games that could contain said letter.

You're really making the experience worse, spammers who use automation can get around this limitation by using scripts.

I followed the advice voor points, but it says 3-4 months waiting time?

The game archive (2) on 9/30/2023 1:27 AM · Permalink · Report

REMOVE THIS SHIT I NEED TO ARCHIVE THIS VIDEO GAME DATABASE FOR FUCK SHAKE AND NOW IT FUCKING RUIN FUCKING RUIN

Emitewiki (1099) on 8/19/2023 6:38 AM · Permalink · Report

This is a great update, love to see the GOG support on Missing Games! Are there plans for any more stores with identifiers to be added to Missing Games?

Love that Xbox is on Add Game now in the new site.

And I am really enjoying all the little extra pieces of info that are continually being added to each page, like the genres and number of games with this update. All of those make each page of the database just a little more useful without having to add unnecessary clicks!

Serrated-banner9 (3967) on 8/19/2023 7:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Cool but when is the credits bug going to be fixed? No offensive but i think its turning off people from contributing, also its annoying

MobyReed (388) on 8/20/2023 2:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Can you describe the bug?

Tim Janssen (136117) on 8/27/2023 9:42 AM · Permalink · Report

I cannot speak for Serrated-banner9, but in my case credits-bugs pop up in the following instances:
- When adding new credits to an existing list of approved credits;
- When adding or deleting a credit to an existing list of credits that were earlier saved in the 'Disambiguation'-screen.

Following three symptoms then typically occur:

1. Clicking the 'Save'-button in the 'Credits Entry'-screen make newly added credits disappear, although they pop up again in the 'Disambiguation'-screen;

2. Clicking the 'Save'-button in the 'Credits Entry'-screen after every few credits causes the credits to be shown in the 'Disambiguation'-screen in a different order from the 'Credits Entry'-screen or not at all;

3. Identifying a newly added credit as a 'New Person' in the 'Disambiguation'-screen causes an error-message to be shown. However if you just continue and submit the credits, the error is ignored and the credit appears to be linked to a new person after all.

Infernos (46874) on 8/20/2023 9:12 AM · Permalink · Report

1) Why are BMP files allowed? It's an unsuitable image format for use on the web.

2) For Product code approval it currently shows "Type" twice. Instead of repeating "Type" it should show Country/Countries for which the product code is for and release comments if it has any.

Cavalary (11610) on 8/28/2023 1:40 AM · Permalink · Report

When was it made so the listed platforms while browsing just show two and a non-expandable "x more" that just takes you to the game entry if clicked? :/

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (593557) on 8/29/2023 2:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Scraping from XBOX.com page -> scrapes the incorrect front cover and put the correct cover as a promo art

example: https://store-images.s-microsoft.com/image/apps.15983.13704965593711325.c8ed22ec-c56d-4ecd-bbbf-e9f6934161c4.d2575e67-38eb-47b6-a87d-b9ea9b55cfe1? (incorrect cover -> which only appears when you scroll down)

correct cover: https://store-images.s-microsoft.com/image/apps.38545.13704965593711325.c8ed22ec-c56d-4ecd-bbbf-e9f6934161c4.31cf7163-fa87-4b36-a2a7-80c86dc947c7?

ALSO: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/sea-of-stars/9nllttjzh40l?

The PC platform, which is handled as windows APPS by us at moby games, is now scraped as WINDOWS/PC