🐳 13,792 items were approved and added to the database in the past week!

Forums > News > Milestone Celebration Frenzy (Part II): They won't fit the headline any more

MZ per X (3017) on 10/19/2010 2:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Our resident cosmopolitan contributor חד-קרן·山猫 (the man known as Unicorn Lynx to Westerners) continues to alphabetically go through the Japanese PC-98 game library, easily breaking the 90,000 points barrier along the way as the second guy to ever reach that humongous feat. The #1 Israeli obviously made it as far as to letter K by now, adding many - to Western audiences - highly obscure games with enjoyable descriptions and delicious screen shots for each. And although I didn't see a regular native Japanese/Chinese contributor show up by now, I strongly believe that Oleg's valuable work will pay off for the project sooner or later in that regard, too.

1 German contribution machine joyvalley continues to give חד-קרן·山猫 a run for his money, as he blasted into the 80K points area as the third man ever recently. While Thomas contributed most of his points submitting covers in his starting days, he more or less shifted his focus to avoiding the front page lately, with his latest project being the addition of missing tech info all over the place counting for over 16,000 points for 2010 alone. Furthermore it must be noted that he is one of the most active approvers out there, where his preferred realms are the lucky queues of the Dos/Windows platforms.

"Scan Master" (as he was called in another thread) Charly2.0 recently completed a second bulk of his contributions worth 10,000 points after roughly one and a half year of MobyAddiction™. Looking through the contribution profile of this silent German contributor, he obviously still does what many of us started out doing here: going through his game collection, adding all the missing games along the way, scanning all the boxes, bringing home all the points others left lying out in the cold. He already scored the award for the #6 German contributor this way and will target the #5 spot next which needs another 10K points by now.

Being another more or less silent worker bee, US-American contributor qwertyuiop broke the 20,000 points barrier, too, claiming the title of the #7 US contributor along the way while fighting off the intense attacks of two other fellow 20K candidates as of now. Just like Charly2.0 above, qwertyuiop's 2010 contribution profile (heavy on covers with a little bit of everything else) looks as if he would systematically go through his game collection, completing or adding the respective database entries while doing so. Furthermore, he also is one of the few contributors that submitted at least one game hint, adding to this much neglected contribution field so severely suffering from inappropriate remuneration.

And last, but in no way least, Russian contributor Kyler.ural finally proved he has no life, too, by joining the 10K points club as its 57th member ever. He scored most of his points by adding Russian covers to the database, but also started to broaden his approach with a first game hint and three ranking sources submitted. And because Eugene is the first Russian I'm writing a celebration item for, I also have to state that the fact that he already is the #3 Russian contributor is quite sad for this aspiring video game nation. Go recruiting, guys! :o)

And when you've read this far in what must be one of the longest news items in history (knocking at the 4,000 character limit), then speak after me:

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!! =)

chirinea (47520) on 10/19/2010 2:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MZ per X wrote--]And when you've read this far in what must be one the longest news items in history (knocking at the 4,000 character limit), then speak after me:

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!! =) [/Q --end MZ per X wrote--]Well, the longest news item in history really couldn't fit into 4,000 characters. =)

Anyway, huge congratulations to all of you for the amazing work!

MZ per X (3017) on 10/19/2010 7:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]Well, the longest news item in history really couldn't fit into 4,000 characters. =) [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] And deservedly so! :o)

Unicorn Lynx (181679) on 10/19/2010 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks, bro :) I love those news items you submit :)

Stay tuned for my upcoming 100,000, hehehe :) The only question is: will I be there before Joyvalley? :)

Our resident cosmopolitan contributor חד-קרן·山猫 (the man formerly known as Unicorn Lynx)

חד-קרן·山猫 is Unicorn Lynx :) The first part is "had-keren", which is "unicorn" in Hebrew; the second is "shanmao", which is "lynx" in Chinese. Or, if you read it "yamaneko", it's "lynx" in Japanese :)

Starbuck the Third (22601) on 10/19/2010 3:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Stay tuned for my upcoming 100,000, hehehe :) The only question is: will I be there before Joyvalley? :) [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]

Or to put it another way: which of you, if either, will overtake Sciere?

Either way, big congrats to both of you and the others.

MZ per X (3017) on 10/19/2010 8:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Stay tuned for my upcoming 100,000, hehehe :) The only question is: will I be there before Joyvalley? :)[/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]This is gonna be a highly interesting race. And MobyGames is the big winner for sure.

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]חד-קרן·山猫 is Unicorn Lynx :) The first part is "had-keren", which is "unicorn" in Hebrew; the second is "shanmao", which is "lynx" in Chinese. Or, if you read it "yamaneko", it's "lynx" in Japanese :) [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Fixed. I already guessed so, but my Hebrew/Chinese is too non-existent. =)

Evgenii Andzhe (18261) on 10/19/2010 3:32 PM · Permalink · Report

MZ per X, thank you for those words. I really appreciate them. Thanks and congratulations to you all.

p.s. I guess not many russian gamers interested in contributing to moby games. Maybe it's language barrier or something else.

qwertyuiop (57660) on 10/19/2010 4:26 PM · Permalink · Report

I contributed hints? ... So I did. Huh.

Anyway, spot on with the "going through my collection" thing. Anything I buy, I check for covers in mobygames, and either add the covers or the game and covers as needed. If I ever run out of games, I can switch to adding screenshots.

POMAH (66427) on 11/16/2010 3:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kyler.ural wrote--]Maybe it's language barrier or something else. [/Q --end Kyler.ural wrote--]

I guess something else. Congratulations to all of you!

Tracy Poff (2095) on 10/19/2010 5:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations to everyone, and thanks for your efforts. It's the dedication of our contributors that makes mobygames great.

Macs Black (80289) on 10/19/2010 5:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations!

Alaka (107909) on 10/19/2010 5:24 PM · Permalink · Report

It's good to see so many contributors crossing these milestones. Nice to see the site is still thriving on the contribution side of things. Congrats everyone. :D

Zerobrain (3052) on 10/19/2010 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Congranulations! ;-)

As always you can be sure of my candid envy, feigned sympathy and merciful scorn!

beetle120 (2415) on 10/19/2010 11:19 PM · Permalink · Report

מזל טוב חד-קרן·山猫
Herzlichen Glückwunsch joyvalley
Herzlichen Glückwunsch Charly2.0
Congratulations qwertyuiop
Поздравления Kyler.ural

Evil Ryu (66089) on 10/20/2010 2:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations x5 ! =D

Patrick Bregger (305119) on 10/20/2010 3:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations!

Kaminari (1082) on 10/21/2010 3:37 PM · Permalink · Report

We have a few Chinese and Japanese top contributors at Tokugawa Corp (probably the only online resource still actively dedicated to Japanese computers), but for historical reasons they expressely ask us not to post any of their screenshots (let alone complete manuals, box scans and "other" material, wink wink) to Western places like MG.

Uploading a game screenshot or a chiptune file on a Japanese site was considered a serious copyright infrigement by uptight publishers up until two or three years ago, and I have a couple of Japanese contacts who were directly affected by this. Chinese retrogamers aren't bothered that much, but you usually won't find them on Western boards. Except when they're called Mrs. Lynx ;b

Props to Unicorn for his terrific and much needed work.

Unicorn Lynx (181679) on 10/21/2010 4:52 PM · Permalink · Report

for historical reasons they expressely ask us not to post any of their screenshots (let alone complete manuals, box scans and "other" material, wink wink) to Western places like MG.

Well, that's a real pity. Japanese contributors would be a great asset to this site.

Except when they're called Mrs. Lynx ;b

LOL! :) Well, we shouldn't worry about Chinese games. After I'm through with PC-98, PC Engine, Saturn, and (if they are ever added) X6800 and FM Towns, I shall begin the gigantic task of documenting Chinese game library in its entirety.

Err... right. If I'm still alive around 2060. ... :/

Jony Shahar (1825) on 12/1/2010 6:22 AM · Permalink · Report

מזל טוב! :-) Looking forward to 100k!

Charly2.0 (289903) on 10/23/2010 5:50 PM · Permalink · Report

THX!!! Congrats to all others celebrated in this post. Right, most of the games become part of my collection but quite often games are for sale to finance my addiction ;) ScanMaster sounds nice, was already thinking of another new nick: 'Mr. Coverman' ;)

formercontrib (157445) on 10/24/2010 9:39 PM · Permalink · Report

best wishes, félicitations, congratulations, meilleurs vœux, good wishes, many happy returns, complimenti, congratulazioni, felicitazioni, felicidades, felicitaciones, mejor suerte, beste wensen, felicitaties, gefeliciteerd, hartelijke gelukwensen, proficiat, congratulações, felicitações, parabéns, gratulationer, gratulerar, lyckönskningar, många välönskningar, sydánmelliset onnittelut, dilek, kutlama, tebrik.